Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday April 19: The day of pain

Ouchy.

Pete and I fell asleep in pain last night, and sure enough, woke up in agony. Pete said that it had to happen at some point, I disagree that it had to happen, but either way, it happened. We are burnt. Yesterday was a great day... wandering around the boulevard and sleeping on the beach. Today though, not so much fun.

As we woke up, there was this burning desire not to move. Unfortunately, the cleaning ladies forced us from our stationary positions, and we were forced to abandon the safety of our room and retreat to the breakfast lounge. It wasn't so bad actually. Getting dressed was a bit of a chore, but some lose fitting clothes combined with the standard wincing in pain as I put on socks, and we were ready to face the day. The day, though was also ready for us. As we peered out the window of our air conditioned room Pete commented, "I don't want to go out there, the sun scares me." I couldn't disagree. We had traveled a great distance to be here, and now the thing we were most excited to see has become our mortal enemy.

So, we hid.

We spent most of the day relaxing in doors, lathering ourselves in aloe vera and hoping the pain would go away. Eventually, we realized that we had some advil tucked away in a bag, and the day got a bit better. We even left the safety of the hotel, braved the scorching sunlight, and drove next door to get the oil changed on my car. While waiting for Pepboys to do their thing, we again went out into the treacherous outdoors and crossed the street to the kill a bit of time at the mall. Turns out that unless you like lingerie or fragrances, it was not a very good mall. So, once more we left the safety of those four wall, and braved the midday heat as we wandered over to Tony Romas in order to rehydrate ourselves (very important when you are sunburnt). You will notice that there are no pictures on this post. The reason for that is nothing really happened that was noteworthy. The only possible exception was the sandwich I ordered. Very tasty. There is no picture of that because, well, we didn't have the camera with us.

After picking up the car, we returned home, and have spent the remainder of the day in our air conditioned room, complaining about the quality of american television and debating whether or not there was anything worth posting for today. Eventually we decided that we have not missed a day, and today would be no exception. So here I am, trying to make interesting a day where the most exciting part was trying to put on clothes. I know, sad. But rest assured, tomorrow will be much more exciting. Tomorrow, we leave and go to Vegas! Who knows what kind of trouble a couple of Canadians can find themselves in Sin City. For all you of weaker heart, don't worry about tomorrow. If anything unsavory should happen, we will activate the "Over 18" warning that is built into this blog program.

Until tomorrow... Good night.

PS. Pete has read this post and feels that it might be too dramatic. The title, words like "agony", these may not be completely true and one hundred percent accurate but please cut me, the author, a bit of slack. Trying to make this day seem interesting has been a test of my writing abilities.

7 comments:

  1. today was one of the hottest days we had in so cal this year. Good awesome 90 degree weather.
    I had planned to take you both to the Long Beach Gran Prix. Screaming cars and lovely ladies... the perfect day.
    Alas, i couldnt get the day off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we got the oil changed, the tech told us all about the Grand Prix and the lovely ladies. Enough to make me want to brave the sun. Alas, Kage wasn't there so... not so perfect. Intsead, we watched television.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do see that Pete at least wore his "cowboy" hat to the beach.. I imagine there were plently of lovely ladies there also. And a burn isn't all bad, now you'll have a good base for a nice tan. :) And what do you mean the poor quality of American tv? Surely you jest! All the trashy, smarmy reality shows a person could ever want!!!

    Oh.. perhaps that's why I don't watch tv. :P

    *hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. by the way, Aly. You promised that cowboy hat + beach = swarms of lovely ladies.

    They paid us no mind! :(

    I want my money back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I forget that you have to add the *cowboy swagger*? Oops... However swagger aside, I'm sure if you had flashed them that smile of yours the would have come running :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. woh !!
    beach + L. ladies => more burns.
    Probably, cowboy hat was blessing in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First you tease us by saying your going to Vegas, and then you don't post anything about that entire day...You didn't take your own pills again did you Lazz?

    ReplyDelete